Monday, December 12, 2011

How far is it to the beach?

Hey!



Can anyone tell me how far or how long it takes to drive to the beach from Orlando?



Is Orlando worth it to stay there for 1,5 years?? I need to decide between Orlando and Miami Beach.



Thank you in advance ~ms.genie



How far is it to the beach?


The local experts can let you know about living there. but the nearest beach is Cocao Beach approx 1 hr away.



How far is it to the beach?


Orlando is almost more like a typical midwestern city, with colleges, museums, parks, churches, and a definite family feel. Miami has more of a latin flavor, and has a more vibrant night life. So it just depends on what kind of feel you%26#39;re looking for. It%26#39;s only about three hours drive (depending on whether you obey the speed limit) between the two, so you can live in one and visit the other.





Cocoa Beach is the closest beach, about 45 minutes from Orlando, but most people prefer the Gulf coast which is two hours west.




I have one word for you: HURRICANES. If you live in Miami Beach, you%26#39;re in a very vulnerable spot for hurricanes; it got some action from Wilma last year and from Katrina. If you live in Orlando, you aren%26#39;t as vulnerable, being that its a little inland. Yes, hurricanes affect Orlando, and Charlie hit Orlando directly in 2004, but it only hit Orlando with about 90-100 mile per hour winds (maybe 140-160 kilos per hour), as opposed to 150 mph (200+ kilos per hour) where it originally hit by the coast near Ft. Myers. The really scary thing is if Miami Beach was hit directly by a Charlie type storm. If you%26#39;re thinking about actually owning a condo or house in Miami Beach or Orlando, this should be a huge concern for you; property insurance is high in Orlando, but is getting much worse by the ocean, including Miami Beach. I like being able to visit Miami and Miami Beach if I like, but I%26#39;m too chicken to live there because of hurricanes.




I see from your posts on the Miami Beach forum that you%26#39;re not looking to own a place, just to rent. In that case, you won%26#39;t have to worry about that issue as far as hurricanes are concerned.




Well, I haven%26#39;t been to Orlando yet, but I can tell you my impressions of Miami. We were there for a few days about 10 days ago, and I%26#39;d never go back. It felt unsafe (someone tried to break into our hotel room while we were inside with the TV on!!), the service was incredibly poor in most restaurants, and when I went shopping, the shop owners followed me around and practically breathed down my neck. Then bugged me if I didn%26#39;t buy anything. I really didn%26#39;t care for it at all, and I%26#39;ve heard others say the same thing.





I would really suggest a good long visit in each place before settling down.





Mel




Thank you all so very much for your suggestions!! It really does help me a lot to get a good impression!!!



I thought it might be great to live close to the beach, but I was concerned about the safety and all these things. Nobody really told me any disadvantages of Miami Beach. So thank you very much!!! You always need to know the good AND the bad things about a city!!! Now I guess I have to learn more about the City Orlando *smile*. All I know is that Orlando has a lot of theme parks.. followed by a lot of tourists (obviously!). So I figure life is pretty expensive in Orlando. What is a good and not too expensive part to live? Is Orlando a good place to stay for 1,5 years? Is it easy to meet new people? What is the age average??


Thank you very much in advance! I appreciate your help!!!! ~ms.genie




Miami or Orlando....hhhmmm...Other than if you want to go to the parks every weekend I would have to say Miami. Orlando is fun, don%26#39;t get me wrong but Miami is a city.




bajathree:





There is nothing else to do in Orlando but going to theme parks? Does%26#39;nt Orlando have malls, restaurants, clubs or bars etc. as well?????





You are from Tampa, right?? Whats going on in Tampa? Is Tampa (maybe) the best place to go???? I%26#39;ve never been there before. The only place I%26#39;ve been to is Cape Coral!!! There are definately toooooo many retired people. Nothing against retired people, I love %26#39;em, but there was NOTHING to do for me (and I am 23 years old).



~ms.genie

No comments:

Post a Comment